My Whole World

My Whole World

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Snake Bite!

If you haven't read the story in the newspaper, or heard on the news, or the radio then you can read it here! I was mowing the lawn over 2 weeks ago, as I was mowing along the very back fence a big snake lunged at me, and I kicked and felt a horrible sting in my leg, it felt like I had been stung by lots of hornets. I felt the snake hanging on my pants and I started to run, but the time I had the nerve to turn around and look, I could see the last 2 feet slithering away toward the field. The only description I had was it was big and brown. To make a long story short, I woke up my boys and drove to the clinic by our house, after all I wasn't having difficulty breathing or massive problems, I thought it was minor since I did not know what kind of snake it was. The clinic gave me a look over and sent me home with a band-aid and told me I would be fine, so in all honesty I was quite glad I didn't over-react and go to the hospital and was happy that we saved money!
Unfortunately that night my leg was stinging so bad, swelling and red- very read and hot to touch. I woke up numerous times and worried something was wrong with my leg. My mom called and worried me even more about the fact that the only snakes with fangs are poisonous, and the only snake here is rattlesnakes. Well, I packed up the boys and went to the ER and the doctors were very concerned and told me it was serious and I had an infection and they gave me a few antibiotics and a shot. They determined it was a rattlesnake and said the fangs did not go into my muscle and how lucky I am to be alive. I was there for awhile, my sister kept me calm by sending text messages and calling me. I kept it together, and dealt with rashes, hives and fevers. But the antibiotics did its job and my leg feels much better, it looks like a burn now, my check up they told me its because of the venom burned my skin. Gross! Anyways, the newspaper here called me and asked me questions, next day its in the paper... you can read the article HERE and that makes for another adventure! Don't you wish you were this lucky?

My pants and the holes from the snake.
About an inch width between fangs, big snake, this a few hours after it happened, starting getting red!
it got my right leg right (a few hours after)
This is either the next day or day after, it just kept getting worse and oozing.

I appreciate the thoughts and prayers! I am blessed to be ok, and have such supportive family and friends. Love you all!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I can't believe this still... I get CHILLS everytime I read or even think about it! I'm so glad everything is OK now and your leg looked SOOO good tonight (compared to what it has looked like:) ). Make sure to keep all kids and future parties in the house or front yard! ha ha! :)

Josh and Nikki said...

My mom called and asked if I had a friend Sherrie that lived by the new Winco. I told her yes and thats when she said that you were in the paper and you were bit by a rattlesnake... After reading your story it gave me the chills... esp when you looked down and it was hanging onto your pants! I can't even imagine! Glad your okay though